Sunday, August 22, 2010

Spaghetti al la Carbonara


We have been unpacking, reading, and generally catching up on all the things that needed to be done...like a huge stack of mail...this week. I have been remembering our trip and all the wonderful things we did in Italy. Kerry got his pictures out today and we looked at them together. I am so glad that he took pictures of things that I didn't. For example, our first day in Rome we went to the Trevi fountain. It was one of the most crowded fountains that I saw in Rome. Jenessa said that she threw a coin into the fountain because the legend is that when you throw a coin in you will come back to Rome. There were so many people and police were there too watching the crowd and making sure that people didn't climb in for a swim. Some people got too close and she blew the whistle on them.

Today I made Italian pizza with Jenessa. She told me that you have to let the dough sit for 24 hours. I did and then she cranked the oven up to 550 which gave the pizza that wonderful crispy crust with the soft bread in the middle. It was the best. I got the recipe from Cooking Light. Jenessa even made authentic pizza sauce out of fresh tomatoes.

Last Sunday Jenessa gave her homecoming talk. She was absolutely the main attraction. There was only one other speaker...a youth speaker. Albert came with his children, Regan came with Debra and Lizzy, John Miles, and Mike Cecacci was here too. It was quite a crowd. I taught gospel doctrine and Kerry taught his two lessons afterwards. We came home and Jenessa made Italian food for everyone...it was spaghetti al la carbonara. I remember the first time we had it was when Maurine made it for us. I remembered it because I thought it was the best spaghetti... Here is the recipe:

1 pkg. spaghetti
4 eggs
4 egg yolks
3/4 lb. of uncured bacon
1 cup parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste
onion
olive oil

Boil the spaghetti until tender.

Fry the onion in olive oil until it becomes transparent. Cut up the bacon and fry it until crisp with the onion.

In a separate bowl whisk the egg and egg yolk together and add in the parmesan, salt and pepper.

Put the strained noodles back in the pot and on low eat. Add the bacon and onions until mixed. Add the egg mixture and stir until it is cooked. Buon Appetito.

1 comment:

Maurine Lee said...

Still my favorite!

Extra Flaky Gluten Free Pie Crust

 This comes from Gluten Free on a Shoestring. 1 1/2 cups All Purpose Gluten Free Flour  3/4 tsp Xanthan Gum  1/4 tsp Baking Powder 1/2 tsp K...