Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Chocolate Marshmallow Cookies



Last night Kerry and I invited family over because Janilee, my son Jonathan's wife, is here visiting and helping to decorate our home. I wanted to make something special for my company so I made a recipe that Kerry's mother had given to me. I made a little variation due to time constraints. The cookie is very rich and the marshmallow is a surprise when you bite into it. These are Kerry's favorite cookies so I hope you will enjoy them too.
1 3/4 cups sifted cake flour
1/2 tsp soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup cocoa
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 tsp vanilla
36 large marshmallows, cut in half
1 can chocolate frosting, or add 5 Tbs cocoa to a can of white fluffy frosting
Sift flour, measure, sift again with soda, salt and cocoa. Cream shortening. Add sugar gradually, blending thoroughly. Add egg, beat well. Add flour mixture and milk alternately, beating after each addition. Add chopped nuts and vanilla, mix. Drop by level teaspoonsful, about two inches apart onto a well greased cookie sheet. Cookies will spread. Bake in moderate (350 degree) oven for eight minutes, top with marshmallow half, cut side down. Return to oven and bake two minutes, until marshmallows soften. Cool and frost with frosting.

1 comment:

Maurine Lee said...

Dang - those look yummy. Tell Janilee to bring me one back.

Extra Flaky Gluten Free Pie Crust

 This comes from Gluten Free on a Shoestring. 1 1/2 cups All Purpose Gluten Free Flour  3/4 tsp Xanthan Gum  1/4 tsp Baking Powder 1/2 tsp K...