Saturday, June 20, 2009

Lasagne

For Father's Day this year I asked Kerry what he would like to eat for his special dinner. I thought I would make something like Chicken and Dumplings and he said that he liked that recipe but that was not his favorite. He was a little disappointed that I didn't know him well after 31 years of marriage and what he likes to eat. "Of course" I thought, "Kerry loves my lasagne."

Not any Lasagne recipe but THE Lasagne recipe that I have always made him. It is the recipe that is found in the Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book published in 1976.

'CoverCover via Amazon

Lasagne was always a hit at my house. I made it first the day that Jonathan was blessed for all the company that came to our home. Then there were the other celebrations like birthdays. It is probably the most popular dish in our household.

1 pound of Italian sausage or ground beef
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 Tbs. whole basil
1 1/2 tsps. salt
1 1-lb. can tomatoes
2 6-ounce cans tomato paste
10 ounces lasagne noodles
2 eggs
3 cups fresh Ricotta or cream-style cottage cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
2 Tbs. parsley flakes
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 pound mozzarella cheese, sliced very thin

Brown the meat slowly; spoon off excess fat.
Add next 5 ingredients and 1 cup water. Simmer, covered, 15 minutes; stir often. Cook noodles in boiling salted water until tender; drain; rinse.

Beat eggs; add remaining ingredients, except mozzarella.

Layer half the noodles in a 13x9x2-inch baking dish; (Yes. I know that this is a 9x9 pan but when there are two people eating, I make two smaller pans of lasagne. We eat one and freeze the other which is what I did today. So if you have a bigger crowd go ahead and make the BIG pan of lasagne like I used to when my family was home.)spread with half the Ricotta filling; add half the mozzarella cheese and half the meat sauce. Repeat. Bake at 375 degrees about 30 minutes (or assemble early and refrigerate; bake 45 minutes). Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Serves 8 to 10.

No comments:

Extra Flaky Gluten Free Pie Crust

 This comes from Gluten Free on a Shoestring. 1 1/2 cups All Purpose Gluten Free Flour  3/4 tsp Xanthan Gum  1/4 tsp Baking Powder 1/2 tsp K...